Wednesday, October 30, 2013

5th Floor Walk-Up


I moved in, so I should be the one to move out
she said.
She wiped her cheeks with her hand.
If this is what you want.
He didn’t argue.
He just sat in the living room with her,
checking his watch on occasion to get the timing right.
I can already smell the pie
he said.
She nodded, looking down at the arm of her chair.
When do you think you’ll leave
he asked.
Jessie said I could stay with her until I figure out what to do. 
You already talked to her about this?
Just a few hours ago.
He checked his watch again. He figured the pie would be finished soon.
So, I’ll probably sleep there tonight, then come back tomorrow for my things
she continued.
You’ll at least stay for the pie
he asked.
Sure.
She tried to smile.
Where did you learn this recipe, anyway
she asked.
No recipe. Each pie is different, really.
he said and got up.
Do you smell that
he continued.
She sniffed the air.
Does smell a little burnt.
Shouldn’t be. We gave it the right amount of time.
What’s the right amount? I thought you said each one was different
she asked.
Some basics stay the same. All pies need to be baked, and it’ll start to smell a certain way usually around the same time. That’s how you can tell
he continued.
Tell what
she asked.
They were standing in front of the oven.
If it’s right or not.
She looked away from him for a moment.
You’re not going to ask me to stay?
No.
So you want me to leave?
I didn’t say that.
Then talk to me. All you seem to care about is this fucking pie.
He didn’t look at her.
He opened the oven door and pulled out the pie and baking sheet
and let them rest on the stovetop.
It’s burnt
he said.
Why didn’t you follow a recipe?
Did we put everything in
he asked himself.
Clearly not. You forgot something.
We forgot something.
She crossed her arms and leaned back against the counter.
I used the unsalted butter like you asked.
That really doesn’t matter, now
he said.
And I put the almond meal in when you asked
she said.
He took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose
then put them back on and threw the pie into the trash.
Just like that
she asked.
We messed up. What do you want me to do
he said.
Well, can’t we just break off the burnt parts?
Sometimes you can catch it before it’s ruined, but once it is, that’s it
he said and left the room.  
Let me guess, ‘timing is everything’
she said, playing his voice.
He didn’t argue.  

Copyright Oren Peleg 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment