Sunday, October 25, 2009

Discipline's Tale

DISCIPLINE'S TALE

8:32 am. Tuesday.

Eyes open

A few scattered thoughts

Then: “When was the last time I ran?”

“I have to run this morning, or else I lose all discipline”

Out of bed

Dress up

Bowl of cereal

Then: “Are you going to run today?”

Answered by: “Yeah, I need to”

TV turns on


9:15 am. Wednesday.

Eyes open

A few scattered thoughts

Then: “Ok, I didn’t run yesterday, today I must

“What time is it?”

Cell phone opens

Then: “9:17. I need to run now before it gets too hot”

“Alright man, get out of bed, lets do this”

Bed sheets are warm

10:06 am.

Then: “Ok, I could run later in the evening when it cools down, I don’t have to run right now


8:22 am. Thursday.

Eyes open

A few scattered thoughts

Then: “I’ve been telling myself to run for two days now. How can I run a marathon if I can’t even do 3 miles?”
“Ok, today is it. I’m doing it today”

10:12

Showerhead turns on

Water runs over skin

Then: “Well, at least I could go to the gym later if I don’t want to run”


10:15 am. Friday.

Eyes open

A few scattered thoughts

Focus

“This is ridiculous”

“I WILL run today. I will. There is no question that I will get out of bed, and just go.”

Pause

10:23

“Well, I’m a bit tired, and there is no real rush, so let me just sleep another half an hour or so.”

11:11

“Alright, am I gonna run or not?!”

11:20

Bowl of cereal

Newspaper


8:30 am. Saturday.

Eyes open

A few scattered thoughts

Then: “Ok, lets go.”

Run shorts are pulled up.

Tee-shirt is pulled down over.

Shoes are put on.

Stretches are done.

8:47 am.

Running.

9:13 am.

Cool down.

Then: “About 25 minutes for 2.5 miles, not bad.”

“That’s about 10 minutes a mile.”

Door opens.

Sweat drips across chest and down forehead.

Then: “Man, that did not feel good.”

Roommate at the table studying. Looks up.

Then: “How was your run?”

Answer: “I did about 10 minutes a mile.”

Comment: “Good.”


9:47 am. Sunday.

Eyes open.

A few scattered thoughts.

Then: “I need to run again today.”


10:03 am. Monday.

Cell phone rings

Hop out of bed.

Dazed: “Hello?”

Listening

Then: “No. No. I needed to wake up anyway.”

Listening

Then: “Yeah.”

Listening

Then: “Nothing. I just woke up, so no plans yet. Why, what did you want to do?”

Listening

Then: “Ok, yeah, sure. Let me just take a shower and stuff, and then I’ll come over.”

Listening

Then: “Alright, I’ll see you soon.”

Listening

Then: “Bye.”


9:18 am. Tuesday.

Eyes open.

A few scattered thoughts.


Copyright Oren Peleg 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment